Monday, December 22, 2008

Internal Structure 2: I, Too, Sing America - Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

A lot of organization can be seen in this poem. First off, chronology is used as well as framing, and contrast. Hughes uses a young African-American to show the contrast of how the African-American thinks and how the white folks think. He mentions that he'll "be at the table", which shows this chronology. It is showing forwards progress, which indicates the internal structure of the poem. He/she see's himself/herself as equal and he/she mentions that the whites will be "ashamed" which shows the contrast of thinking between the races. This poem, in the end, is framed by "America" which is key to the poem. In "America", everyone eats "at the table", and no one is left out. He associates America with Confidence and freedom. This organization shows the internal structure being used in this particular poem.

No comments: